Saturday, February 1, 2014

QUIET BOOK






(Double click on pictures to see details)

I made this quiet book out of heavy pellon, with a quilted fabric for the cover. I sewed pages back to back, and then sewed 3 of them together at a time, then sewed those sections together. All of that was with a blanket stitch. I then opened the pages to the middle and laid them flat, centered them on the cover, and then sewed them in, taking care to make sure the stitches on the spine stayed little.
Some of the eyes are the sew-on google eyes, and the rest are beads. I have a lot of odds and ends on hand from past craft projects, so used sew-on gems here and there, various buttons, sequins, etc. Use what you have or do felt shapes. I also embroidered faces and other fine details with 3 strands of embroidery floss to make it longer lasting. I put powdered blush o the faces of the baby, princesses, etc. It is a nice little detail that does a lot.
Note that the clock has movable hands. The hands were cut out of a plastic lid, the kind that comes on hot chocolate or canned nuts. The center piece that holds them in is actually a pink eye I found that has a piece on the back that snaps in and holds it tight.
I did not include the patterns for 2 of the pages, the chicken and hatching eggs, because I modified it from something I saw online, and the fishing game, because it could be a choking hazard for young children.
ALso, I made the book square, but wished as I was making it that it had a little bigger pages, so the patterns are done on typing paper size.
The clothes (that fit in the dresser) could be made of various colors and trim to look different.
I don't have finger puppets on every page, but finger puppets was kinda/sorta the theme here.
I did use some patterned felt that was given to me as a gift by my sister. I have seen it at various craft stores and WalMart. It's kind of fun to use for something a little different.
Here are the patterns:













No comments:

Post a Comment